Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Driving Miss Cara

Traffic in Dhaka is like nothing you have ever seen. I promise you. On the street - cars, rickshaws, auto-rickshaws, mini-trucks, bigger trucks and people darting out of every corner. I think what makes it particularly heart-palpitation inducing for me is the whole driving on the left side of the road inheritance from the British. Not only is everyone and their mother darting in front of you, cutting you off and nearly side-swiping you, but they are doing so from the right side - which in my brain feels like an enormous game of Chicken.* With cars. And rickshaws.

This video is pretty tame and sums up the situation nicely: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPDixVDkaq4

* I have a very nice driver who is extremely capable. So no worries there, Mom, Dad, et al.

No comments: